Thursday, September 9, 2010

illustration attitude check

I've taken two drawing classes at my University, and hated them both. I felt like the still lives were either boring (random boxes) or ugly, and a waste of time (a tea cup, a shoe, a manequin head, more boxes). On Tuesday, I started my third drawing class, and I've decided to go into this with a different attitude. Yes, it's still an ugly set-up, and I still feel like it's a waste of time. Because when you finish, it's like, "Look! I did a great drawing of.. some random crap on a table.."

But gosh darn it, I'm determined to draw the best darn ugly assemblage of random-crap-on-a-table that you ever did see!

Today our still life was a manequin head (and I got stuck drawing it from the back), a stool, two plaster molds, some boxes, and some random metal wire things. Ugly. But I did my best. And it felt great.

Here's a little illustration inspiration for you. And for me. ;)
(none of these are mine- all from we heart it)







just a few random pretty things that make my inner artist drool <3

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about. I HATE still life's. I will not do another drawing or painting that I do not enjoy. (Which means I won't be taking another art class. At least for a LONG time.)

    Good for you, changing your attitude. You're a better person than me for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super jealous -- definitely wish I could have taken illustration classes (or anything artsy, beyond writing) in school!

    ReplyDelete